How Much Does It Cost To Replace a Gas Furnace?

Dealing with a faulty furnace can be exasperating. If you own an old furnace it is likely that you are spending several hundred dollars on repair. It is also likely that your unit struggles to keep you warm through winter. This calls for a replacement. A new furnace will undoubtedly be more efficient, call for fewer repairs, last longer and save you bucks on utility costs in the long term. However, it is important that you consult a professional HVAC repair in Vancouver, before choosing a unit to install in your home. Your furnace pro will help evaluate your home and determine the right unit which will be cost-effective.

Furnace Costs

The first thing you must take into consideration is the type of furnace you wish to install. Most furnaces today will last you anything between 15-20 years. You are bound to have a lot more choices available to you now that didn’t exist when you bought your original HVAC unit.

Oil furnaces can cost anything between $2000 and $2500 but aren’t as efficient as natural gas furnaces. In most cases, these furnaces may also need complex ductwork that can push the price to as much as $10,000.

On the contrary, natural gas furnaces are easy to install and highly efficient. This makes furnaces powered by natural gas a popular choice. These furnaces will cost you anything between $2500 and $4000. You would possibly incur higher costs based on the efficiency of the unit and the complexity of the install.

Furnace Efficiency

Interestingly, gas furnaces come with numerous bells and whistles which tend to affect their price. The first is the heat output that is measured in BTU. If you have a medium-sized house, you will do good in buying a unit that can put out at least 60,000 BTU. Remember, that units with higher BTU do not make them better for small houses as these units not only cost more but hit ideal temperatures way too quickly and then shut off. This often results in inconsistent cooling or heating.

Older furnace models were rates 80 percent efficient, which goes to say the remaining 20 percent of the heat that was put out was lost to waste. Today, you can find newer models that are rated 90 percent or better, some even claiming 95 percent efficiency. Even a small jump in efficiency can translate to big savings in utility costs.

It is also important to understand how effectively will your new unit heat your home. This can be determined by the unit’s staging. Most older furnaces were one stage which means they ran at full power at all times. Today, furnaces employ a two-stage process that makes it possible for them to run at 65 percent when it starts in order to save fuel and ramp-up to 95 percent as and when needed. This happens in 1 percent increments.

Buying and installing a new gas furnace is not simple. It is a science that most homeowners do not understand. Hence, when buying a new furnace, it is best to rely on the advice of the pros. If you are in the market looking for a new furnace, contact Ariana Heating & Air Conditioning Ltd. We provide top-quality furnace installation and emergency furnace repair in Vancouver. Call us today at 778-861-7120.

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.