How Often Should A Gas Furnace Need Servicing And Why?
A gas furnace forms an integral part of every household that tries to maintain the room temperature during winter seasons. The furnace comes with its own set of problems, and these problems require regular servicing.
Here, we will be looking at
- the common problems that might occur when the proper servicing of a gas furnace does not take place.
- the recommended duration for the servicing or furnace repair Coquitlam, BC.
Common Problems in a Gas Furnace
Most of the owners do neglect their gas furnace servicing. As a result, nearly 75% of all the gas furnaces do not give their peak output. This negligence leads to wastage of energy and damage of parts that can be expensive.
Many people are often under the misconception that if the furnace is used for a short duration, it does not require servicing. But this appliance can get damaged even if it is not in use. Following are some of the few commonly faced problems while operating a gas furnace:
- Dirty filters – Blocked filters are tough to clean. Further, it will make your furnace work even harder to heat the room. This will lead to energy wastage and inefficiency. The filter should be changed every time the servicing is done, and the cleaning of the filter should be done every 2-3 months. A dirty clogged filter is one of the main problems faced by furnace owners. Hence, regular cleaning can help them resolve this problem easily.
- Faulty pilot light – The pilot opening can be clogged, or the gas valve might not be opened all the way. These are some of the major reasons for a faulty pilot light. Cleaning the pilot light and checking if the pilot valve is opened all the way, is eminent during every servicing session. Therefore, it is advisable to hire a professional from furnace repair Coquitlam for doing the job.
- Cracked heat exchanger – This is one of the hazardous effects of ignoring furnace maintenance. A cracked heat exchanger will leak out toxic carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide along with harmful soot. This may cause respiratory problems and can be life-threatening if not treated properly.
How Often a Gas Furnace Servicing Should Be Done to Avoid Problems?
A gas furnace consists of a lot of soot and dust that can get trapped in the filters and can affect the working of the furnace. So, to ensure that these things do not happen, servicing should be done at least once a year. However, it is best to service your furnace twice a year, once during the spring and once in the fall. The servicing should be thoroughly done, like cleaning the parts that often malfunction and the parts that catch debris, the most. Then, electrical, and mechanical checking of the wires, the air filter, exhaust fan, pilot light, and the heat exchanger should be done.
Thus, the explanation above might have given you an idea about the necessity of servicing gas furnaces. The servicing should be done at least twice a year and the filter should be changed during every service. So, what are you waiting for? Immediately contact the technical experts at Ariana Heating & Air Conditioning, the best furnace repair in North Vancouver. Contact us at 604-466-0072 to get a free consultation today.